SOOOO...off my soapbox I go haha, and onto...
BOOK RAFFLE TIME!!!
***I cannot claim this idea for myself!!*** I, as probably a ton of you, scour Pinterest for ideas, inspiration, and in practicing to perfect my skills of procrastination! Well, one day, I came across the idea of having a BOOK RAFFLE!!! I LOVE BOOKS!!!!! I have a
small HUGE addiction to books in general, but mostly CHILDREN'S BOOKS! They're so beautiful, full of color, voice, good stories, and wonderful authors and illustrators!! I even love the SMELL OF BOOKS!!! Ask my students, I literally have to smell them when I open up the new Scholastic box I happily hopped down to the office to retrieve!! I remember wanting books from book orders when I was younger JUST to get that feel and smell of a new book!! AHHHH Am I crazy?!? haha Well, that's ok because I think it's actually made my students WANT to get their hands on books more!! So, I will take my crazy title and run with it! :)
How do I run it?This is the first month that I have started the Book Raffle, but I plan on doing a Book Raffle EVERY MONTH! At the beginning of the month, I put out 4 baskets with one NEW book in each basket. I placed them on top of a poster (read more about these in Books and Prizes :). The kids walked in and were immediately drawn to the display!! HOOK, LINE, AND SINKER! Right away, they started asking questions! When I told them that we would be having the Book Raffle every month, they literally cheered! I made sure to buy books that we've been reading or that I know they read a lot to pull that interest in even more!! :) Once again, HOOK, LINE, AND SINKER!!!
I carry around red raffle tickets that you can get from Walmart and any of those stores! Here's a link to them on Amazon.
We talked about how they can earn them and when together. I told them that these were very special prizes, and they took a little more to earn. So here is a list of ways they could earn raffle tickets in my room to give you some examples and ideas!
Clipart by the amazing, Krista Wallden from Creative Clips!
1. Get a 5 in Specials is a huge one for me. We often talk about how we should behave in other places of the school, and even though, a 4 is still good, we shoot for the 5! They get so excited to tell me they earned a 5!!
2. Every day 8 students wear one of our weekly vocabulary words on their clothes! We make gestures to go with each and practice them a ton! It takes very little time, and they love it!! I give the kids wearing the words 5 raffle tickets each. When a student walks by them, they can try to use the word in a sentence correctly to earn a raffle ticket! We definitely talk about when it's appropriate to do this and how they have to use the word correctly in the sentence, and (knock on wood) it's been going SO WELL!!!!! ALL of the kids, even my Level 1 EL students want to wear the words and talk to the others. Those kids also get a raffle ticket at the end of the day as long as they did their jobs wearing them. We even have Vocabulary Parades!!!! To read more about our Vocabulary activities, click on the picture below to take you to the post!
3. Getting at least 10 stars on their TEAM Homework has been WONDERFUL!!! I've been using Amanda Madden's, from Teaching Maddeness, TEAM Homework Newsletter and system to do my homework this year. It's all based on the Whole Brain Teaching Universal Teaching Model! I LOVE IT!!! I even have parents telling me how their children ASK to do more stars and extras for homework!!! ASK for MORE?!? Teacher heaven right here!!! The whole ideas is to give them ownership over their work. So they choose to do as little or as much as they want in the week, but they are ALL working together to earn a certain number of points! IF THE WHOLE CLASS reaches their goal, EVERYONE gets raffle tickets as well! We check in on Fridays! Check out her post all about this HERE!!! It's worth it!
4. They receive Citizenship Reports every Friday that are due by the next Tuesday. If they turn them in early on Monday signed, they earn a raffle ticket! I really want to make sure the parents see these papers so this serves as double duty!! :)
5. We have our other management system with sparklers, etc. so if I see AMAZING, STAND OUT behavior, they can earn raffle tickets as well!! I try to make these harder to earn so they don't lose their uniqueness! :)
When they get the raffle ticket, they wait till they get back to their seats to write their names. Then they can choose which basket they want to put theirs in. This is a great REAL WORLD PROBABILITY lesson too!!! We talked about how are chances could go up if we put more tickets in one over the other. I love when we can DOUBLE DIP into other subjects!!! :)
Books and PrizesLastly, the actual books and prizes are the most important part to REEL them in!!! :)
FIRST, I want to make sure EVERY child gets a NEW book by the end of the year!! This does mean that once a student wins a book, they don't get to win another one until EVERYONE has won one! Now, you might be asking, "Then what's the motivation for those kids to keep trying to earn raffle tickets??" Well, I rummaged through the AWESOME Target deals a few weeks ago and stocked up on writing composition notebooks, circle paper key rings, folders, etc. so I can raffle those off as well! They can win multiple "door prizes" so that way they still have something to work toward. If you take a close look at the picture below, you will see a Scholastic poster beneath every basket. Since I use my points to get the Scholastic Books for the raffle, I also use the free gifts they give with the book orders for prizes too! The kids LOVED them!!!
I hope this gives you some ideas and a start to getting your own classroom Book Raffle going!!!!! It is soooooo worth it!!! I want to help me kinds find a LOVE for READING!!! This is one way that really spikes their interests and inspires them to dive into a good book!!!!!!
If you have any questions or other ideas to add, I would love to hear them!!!! :) Thanks so much for stopping by!!!
Happy READING!!! :)