Math "AHA!" Moments!

Today was one of those days that reminded me why I love to teach!!  We had a great Writer's Workshop and morning all together, and then awesome AHA moments in math!!  


In math, we were practicing finding the area of a space or shape.  Well, sometimes this can be a little challenging to teach to 2nd graders to where they actually truly understand it.  Everyday Math makes it easier for them by just counting centimeter squares inside the shape, but I want them to actually understand what it means.  Soooo...I made a 6 by 6 square so we could WALK THE PERIMETER, and COVER THE SURFACE FOR THE AREA.  The kids loved it!!  They got to walk around the shape and measure it using a yard stick, and then got to cover the surface as you see in the picture above!  You could see their eyes change once they understood the purpose for the activity!  I just had to share this!!  I wish I could bottle these moments up to remember them on the days I feel like I'm speaking another language to them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always LOVE to hear from other teachers and bloggers so thank you so much for taking the time to comment!! It's so exciting to meet new people who share in your passion!